What is Cyber Wellness?
Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) are becoming increasingly pervasive in our world. While creating instant connectivity and access to vast repositories of information, knowledge, and opinions, the open nature of the Internet can expose our students to undesirable content and influences.
Cyber Wellness in Character and Citizenship Education (CCE) focuses on the well-being of our students as they navigate cyberspace. Our curriculum aims to equip students with the knowledge and skills to harness the power of ICT for positive purposes, maintain a positive presence in cyberspace and be safe and responsible users of ICT.
The 3 Cyber Wellness Key Messages
- Embrace the affordances of technology while maintaining a balanced lifestyle between offline and online activities.
- Be a safe and responsible user of technology and maintain a positive online presence.
- Be responsible for personal well-being in the cyberspace.
Cyber Wellness Education at a glance
Cyber Wellness education is usually conducted through CCE lessons during curriculum time, key Student Development Experiences (SDEs) beyond the classroom, school-based initiatives, teachable moments during other subject lessons, and learning opportunities beyond school.
The Cyber Wellness curriculum is organised into 5 topics:
||What your child will learn about
||* Maintaining a healthy balance of online and offline activities
||* Developing a healthy online identity
* Appropriate online expression
* Cyber bullying
* Developing safe, respectful and meaningful online relationships
||* Understanding the cyber world
* Handling online content and behaviour
* Having a positive presence in the cyber community
||* Creating and sharing of online content in a responsible manner
* Respecting copyright
Support at home
Parents play a key role in their children’s growth. Students benefit the most when the home and school environments are attuned to each other. To help your child stay safe and have positive experiences online, you can:
- Activate parental controls on your home devices.
- Model good digital habits for your child.
- Set ground rules for internet use.
- Navigate the internet together to understand their usage.
Learn more about how to keep your child safe online through these resources:
From external agencies
QtPS Cyber Wellness Activities
P3 Cyber Wellness Jingles
Our P3 students came up with Jingles that convey Cyber Wellness messages that they have learnt in their music lessons. Students are encouraged to recap and convey the Cyber Wellness messages that they have learnt to their fellow students.
One jingle was chosen from each class and played to the students during the Cyber Wellness week through a recorded video
P5 Cyber Wellness Posters
P5 students design Cyber Wellness Posters during their art lesson.
These posters are used to create Cyber Wellness awareness among their peers during the Cyber Wellness Week. At the same time, students are given an opportunity to apply what they have learnt during their FTGP Cyber Wellness lessons in their posters.